At Great Lakes Academy, we know that children with various Learning Differences, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADD or AD/HD can perform as well as others; they just need teachers who know how to reach them. Our curriculum fosters the intellectual, social and emotional growth of students from 4th through 12th grade.
Great Lakes follows Texas State mandated curriculum, TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) in conjunction with:
- Smaller Classes (10 students maximum)
- Self-contained classrooms for core subject learning
- Positive reinforcement
- Social skills classes which address:
- Impulse control
- Organizational skills
- How to make and maintain friendships
- How to become a valid and contributing member of the team.
- Multi-sensory teaching:
- Language Arts/Reading
- Social Studies
- Physical Education
- Fine Art
- Teaching methods and classroom management that considers each student's individual learning style.